Skip to main content

Morning Swim Practice - A/LO5

I had before-school swim practice today. Early mornings are always rough but today was especially rough because we had to do many repeat sets. This morning in our warm-up, we were working on underwater dolphin kicks and breathing patterns. We were supposed to do a 200 with six underwater dolphin kicks off each wall and no breathing on the first stroke. This 200 turned into three because each time a few people would only do three underwater or breathe off the wall and we would have to start all over. While swimming is mostly known as an individual sport, there are also teamwork components. Especially in practice when we all feel super tired, we have to recognize that we are all feeling that way and work through it together so that we don't have to repeat the same set over and over again.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hand Knitting Chunky Blanket - C/LO1

As a weekend craft, I decided to make a chunky knit blanket following a youtube tutorial. I had recently started knitting but had not yet tried hand knitting. I used the Bernat chunky blanket yarn and was able to follow the tutorial easily enough. I struggled with getting the right tension at first and naturally, as a perfectionist, I had to redo the beginning multiple times until I got it just right. I put on a movie and sat for three hours on the floor just working on the blanket. In the end, I had my very own chunky blanket. Through this process, a strength I demonstrated was perseverance with working through new skills and a weakness that I could work on is being more forgiving for slight imperfections.

Morning Run - A/LO4

Today I went on an early morning run with my swim team at Buffalo Bayou. When the pools closed due to quarantine, my swim team started running together as an alternative way to keep fit. Even when the pools opened, we had a limited practice schedule so continued to run as well. Today we ran down the bayou to a set location and then turned back around. In total we ran 3.5 miles. Everyone ran at their own pace so some people go their sooner than later. Running is definitely more challenging for me and in the extreme heat I had to take a very leisurely pace so I 1finsihed in almost 45 min. Running requires a lot of commitment and perseverance because of the physical challenge.

CAS Project Day 22 - LO4

Today is Day 22 of my CAS Project. I have been going to the climbing gym consistently every weekend and climb for about 2 hours each time. During the school week, when I don't have time to go to the climbing gym, I work on strength training and fitness in other ways. I try to do a mix of hang board exercises, pull-ups, and workout videos. I finally sent the V5 that I have been working on for the past few weeks and have since repeated it two more times! I honestly don't know how many times I tried the climb but it was definitely a project wall for me. Once I figured out the hand crossover move, the next was a huge step to the left and then another push up from there to the final holds which were also angled, far apart, and tiny. The extreme reaches were scary at first because I was not sure if I would be able to make it but once I trusted myself and went for it, I found that I could do it. Once I knew the beta and knew I could do it, I was able to repeat the climb without too mu...