Chinese New Year celebrations have become an annual tradition at Post Oak and this year I once again worked with Mr. Zhou and Emily to plan this anticipated event. Some of the favorite activities are the catered lunch, advisory chopstick relay races, lion dance, and Kahoot. In order to make this event a success, a lot of planning and preparation was involved. I had regular meetings with the Chinese New Year team and we had to coordinate the timing of each event, contact the professional lion dancers, create the Kahoot, etc. One of the most challenging parts and the one that required the most planning was ordering the food, making sure there was enough, and that everyone got what they needed. The extreme planning involved was worth it in the end as everyone enjoyed the event.
As a weekend craft, I decided to make a chunky knit blanket following a youtube tutorial. I had recently started knitting but had not yet tried hand knitting. I used the Bernat chunky blanket yarn and was able to follow the tutorial easily enough. I struggled with getting the right tension at first and naturally, as a perfectionist, I had to redo the beginning multiple times until I got it just right. I put on a movie and sat for three hours on the floor just working on the blanket. In the end, I had my very own chunky blanket. Through this process, a strength I demonstrated was perseverance with working through new skills and a weakness that I could work on is being more forgiving for slight imperfections.

Comments
Post a Comment