Skip to main content

Internship with RMHC - S/LO7

Today as part of my internship at Ronald Mcdonald House Charities, I met Karen at a middle school where the Ronald McDonald Care Mobile was visiting to provide the children and families there with flu shots. As the communications director, Karen was there to meet with the Nurses in the Care Mobile and shoot and interview with Tanya, the executive director for RMHCGH’s “Healthcare Within Reach” campaign. As Karen’s intern, I was able to go and finally see the inside of the Care Mobile. I took pictures for the campaign and also met with some of the families who came to use the Care Mobile’s services. Hearing the families’ stories really made me consider the ethics of our healthcare system as many of the people who came to the truck are immigrants who are fearful to reach out for help because they could be deported. I think that the discrimination towards immigrants is disheartening, no one should have to forgo medical care for this reason.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hand Knitting Chunky Blanket - C/LO1

As a weekend craft, I decided to make a chunky knit blanket following a youtube tutorial. I had recently started knitting but had not yet tried hand knitting. I used the Bernat chunky blanket yarn and was able to follow the tutorial easily enough. I struggled with getting the right tension at first and naturally, as a perfectionist, I had to redo the beginning multiple times until I got it just right. I put on a movie and sat for three hours on the floor just working on the blanket. In the end, I had my very own chunky blanket. Through this process, a strength I demonstrated was perseverance with working through new skills and a weakness that I could work on is being more forgiving for slight imperfections.

Morning Run - A/LO4

Today I went on an early morning run with my swim team at Buffalo Bayou. When the pools closed due to quarantine, my swim team started running together as an alternative way to keep fit. Even when the pools opened, we had a limited practice schedule so continued to run as well. Today we ran down the bayou to a set location and then turned back around. In total we ran 3.5 miles. Everyone ran at their own pace so some people go their sooner than later. Running is definitely more challenging for me and in the extreme heat I had to take a very leisurely pace so I 1finsihed in almost 45 min. Running requires a lot of commitment and perseverance because of the physical challenge.

CAS Project Day 22 - LO4

Today is Day 22 of my CAS Project. I have been going to the climbing gym consistently every weekend and climb for about 2 hours each time. During the school week, when I don't have time to go to the climbing gym, I work on strength training and fitness in other ways. I try to do a mix of hang board exercises, pull-ups, and workout videos. I finally sent the V5 that I have been working on for the past few weeks and have since repeated it two more times! I honestly don't know how many times I tried the climb but it was definitely a project wall for me. Once I figured out the hand crossover move, the next was a huge step to the left and then another push up from there to the final holds which were also angled, far apart, and tiny. The extreme reaches were scary at first because I was not sure if I would be able to make it but once I trusted myself and went for it, I found that I could do it. Once I knew the beta and knew I could do it, I was able to repeat the climb without too mu...