This week, I made a carrot cake. I have always loved carrot cake and was excited to try to make my own. Even though it's in the name, it still felt weird peeling and grating so many carrots and then mixing it in with the batter. I also didn't realize how many different spices are in carrot cake. Carrot cake is a process to make because of all the carrot grating and pecan chopping. Once the batter was mixed, I had to divide it evenly between two cake pans because I was making a double-layer cake. I set the timer and let it bake for the allotted time. I did the toothpick test and put it back in the oven then tested it again and left it a little longer. I then put the cake in the fridge and made the icing while it chilled. My family and I don't like super sweet icing so I always have to halve and sometimes even quarter the recipe's amount of confectioner's sugar. Following recipes correctly and baking is a strength for me and the final cake turned out really good. I could definitely improve my icing game though and need to work on letting things fully cook although I do kind of enjoy the gooey batter.
As a weekend craft, I decided to make a chunky knit blanket following a youtube tutorial. I had recently started knitting but had not yet tried hand knitting. I used the Bernat chunky blanket yarn and was able to follow the tutorial easily enough. I struggled with getting the right tension at first and naturally, as a perfectionist, I had to redo the beginning multiple times until I got it just right. I put on a movie and sat for three hours on the floor just working on the blanket. In the end, I had my very own chunky blanket. Through this process, a strength I demonstrated was perseverance with working through new skills and a weakness that I could work on is being more forgiving for slight imperfections.
Comments
Post a Comment