Skip to main content

CAS Project Day 1 - LO2

Today is the first day of my CAS Project! I have decided to challenge myself to send a V5 route. Over the past year and a half, I have really gotten into bouldering at my local indoor climbing gym. I now go every Saturday and Sunday and just climb at a leisurely pace. I can consistently send the blue V3s and V4s but have not yet attempted a V5 just because they seem so intimidating. However, last climbing session, my sister who climbs at the same level as me, was trying a V5 so I decided to make this a goal. As I become a more experienced climber, walls that I would have never thought to attempt previously now seem like a challenging yet feasible climb. The first V5 route that I tried was on the back wall at Momentum Indoor Climbing. You start with your arms wide apart with your left foot on a hold right next to your left hand. You then have to simultaneously push off your left foot and move your left hand to a hole above. I had to try this movement multiple times to get my left hand in a secure enough position to be able to move my right hand up. These holds were identical and large and fairly easy to hold once you have the right part. I learned that the tops of the holds are thinner and deeper and easier to hold onto. Another challenge was finding where to place my feet given that the holds were at different angles. I solved this by balancing my right foot around the side of the wall and using that as leverage. From this position on the wall, the next hold is very tiny and a far reach especially with my arm length, so I had to really push upwards with my feet to even touch the hold. This momentum caused me to swing out from the wall and because the hold was so small, my fingers would slip. This wall is definitely going to be challenging for me but I think that I can get it if I figure out where to put my feet. Hopefully, next time I can watch someone else send it so I can learn.

V5 Route in Red


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hand Knitting Chunky Blanket - C/LO1

As a weekend craft, I decided to make a chunky knit blanket following a youtube tutorial. I had recently started knitting but had not yet tried hand knitting. I used the Bernat chunky blanket yarn and was able to follow the tutorial easily enough. I struggled with getting the right tension at first and naturally, as a perfectionist, I had to redo the beginning multiple times until I got it just right. I put on a movie and sat for three hours on the floor just working on the blanket. In the end, I had my very own chunky blanket. Through this process, a strength I demonstrated was perseverance with working through new skills and a weakness that I could work on is being more forgiving for slight imperfections.

Morning Run - A/LO4

Today I went on an early morning run with my swim team at Buffalo Bayou. When the pools closed due to quarantine, my swim team started running together as an alternative way to keep fit. Even when the pools opened, we had a limited practice schedule so continued to run as well. Today we ran down the bayou to a set location and then turned back around. In total we ran 3.5 miles. Everyone ran at their own pace so some people go their sooner than later. Running is definitely more challenging for me and in the extreme heat I had to take a very leisurely pace so I 1finsihed in almost 45 min. Running requires a lot of commitment and perseverance because of the physical challenge.

CAS Project Day 22 - LO4

Today is Day 22 of my CAS Project. I have been going to the climbing gym consistently every weekend and climb for about 2 hours each time. During the school week, when I don't have time to go to the climbing gym, I work on strength training and fitness in other ways. I try to do a mix of hang board exercises, pull-ups, and workout videos. I finally sent the V5 that I have been working on for the past few weeks and have since repeated it two more times! I honestly don't know how many times I tried the climb but it was definitely a project wall for me. Once I figured out the hand crossover move, the next was a huge step to the left and then another push up from there to the final holds which were also angled, far apart, and tiny. The extreme reaches were scary at first because I was not sure if I would be able to make it but once I trusted myself and went for it, I found that I could do it. Once I knew the beta and knew I could do it, I was able to repeat the climb without too mu...