Skip to main content

CAS Project Day 9 - LO5

I was very excited to go climbing again and try a move that I had seen another girl do yesterday on the V5 route I was working on last week. When I was at the climbing gym yesterday, another girl was attempting to climb this same route and was getting stuck at the same point. We took turns trying out the climb and also observing each other’s climbs to see if we could either learn anything or offer tips to the other person. I noticed that I had been grabbing onto the nearest tiny hold with my right hand and then matching the other tiny hold with my left hand while the girl grabbed the first hold with her left hand and then crossed her right arm under her left and grabbed the other hold. In this crossed position she was able to control her body from swinging off the wall and had a tighter grip. I immediately tried her way after and was able to hold on for longer than before. What I really like about the climbing community at Momentum is that everyone is so willing to help each other and it is cool to meet new people and send new routes by learning from each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hand Knitting Chunky Blanket - C/LO1

As a weekend craft, I decided to make a chunky knit blanket following a youtube tutorial. I had recently started knitting but had not yet tried hand knitting. I used the Bernat chunky blanket yarn and was able to follow the tutorial easily enough. I struggled with getting the right tension at first and naturally, as a perfectionist, I had to redo the beginning multiple times until I got it just right. I put on a movie and sat for three hours on the floor just working on the blanket. In the end, I had my very own chunky blanket. Through this process, a strength I demonstrated was perseverance with working through new skills and a weakness that I could work on is being more forgiving for slight imperfections.

Morning Run - A/LO4

Today I went on an early morning run with my swim team at Buffalo Bayou. When the pools closed due to quarantine, my swim team started running together as an alternative way to keep fit. Even when the pools opened, we had a limited practice schedule so continued to run as well. Today we ran down the bayou to a set location and then turned back around. In total we ran 3.5 miles. Everyone ran at their own pace so some people go their sooner than later. Running is definitely more challenging for me and in the extreme heat I had to take a very leisurely pace so I 1finsihed in almost 45 min. Running requires a lot of commitment and perseverance because of the physical challenge.

CAS Project Day 22 - LO4

Today is Day 22 of my CAS Project. I have been going to the climbing gym consistently every weekend and climb for about 2 hours each time. During the school week, when I don't have time to go to the climbing gym, I work on strength training and fitness in other ways. I try to do a mix of hang board exercises, pull-ups, and workout videos. I finally sent the V5 that I have been working on for the past few weeks and have since repeated it two more times! I honestly don't know how many times I tried the climb but it was definitely a project wall for me. Once I figured out the hand crossover move, the next was a huge step to the left and then another push up from there to the final holds which were also angled, far apart, and tiny. The extreme reaches were scary at first because I was not sure if I would be able to make it but once I trusted myself and went for it, I found that I could do it. Once I knew the beta and knew I could do it, I was able to repeat the climb without too mu...