The lengthy power outages created by winter storm Uri meant online work was out of the picture. I had to find new ways to keep busy. After raiding the crafts drawer, I selected leftover wire from an old science project, some assorted beads from long ago, and the wire cutter and pliers from a jewelry kit and decided to attempt to make the wire rings that have populated Pinterest and TikTok feeds as of late. I had access only to the screenshot of finished rings as a model and the various materials I had managed to find in my house. After testing glue sticks, knitting needles, and pens, I found that a large expo marker was sufficient as an actual ring measurer. After analyzing the picture and trying to recall the odd video tutorial I had glanced at previously, I cut some wire and began twisting it into a ring-like shape. With no sure course of action and limited wire experience, I faced many initial challenges like making the ring too small or too big, not finishing the ring neatly, or making something very far off from the picture. Through this experience though, I learned my own tips and tricks to make decent-looking wire rings.
As a weekend craft, I decided to make a chunky knit blanket following a youtube tutorial. I had recently started knitting but had not yet tried hand knitting. I used the Bernat chunky blanket yarn and was able to follow the tutorial easily enough. I struggled with getting the right tension at first and naturally, as a perfectionist, I had to redo the beginning multiple times until I got it just right. I put on a movie and sat for three hours on the floor just working on the blanket. In the end, I had my very own chunky blanket. Through this process, a strength I demonstrated was perseverance with working through new skills and a weakness that I could work on is being more forgiving for slight imperfections.
Comments
Post a Comment