This weekend I volunteered in one of Plant it Forward’s urban gardens with my family. Plant it forward is an organization that helps refugees create a sustainable farming business. They grow a large variety of crops and are always in need of helping hands to maintain a healthy garden. Alongside my family, there was also the Farm lead and a few other people, and together we had to weed out all of the invasive plants to make room for the actual crops to grow. When we started, the plot was so full of weeds you could barely distinguish between the crops and the weeds or see the soil underneath. To maximize efficiency we each took a different section of the plots, and there were also some people in charge of the big shovel, throwing the weeds in the wheelbarrow, and discarding them in the compost area. After three hours of great teamwork under the beating hot Houston sun, we finally had three weedless garden plots!
As a weekend craft, I decided to make a chunky knit blanket following a youtube tutorial. I had recently started knitting but had not yet tried hand knitting. I used the Bernat chunky blanket yarn and was able to follow the tutorial easily enough. I struggled with getting the right tension at first and naturally, as a perfectionist, I had to redo the beginning multiple times until I got it just right. I put on a movie and sat for three hours on the floor just working on the blanket. In the end, I had my very own chunky blanket. Through this process, a strength I demonstrated was perseverance with working through new skills and a weakness that I could work on is being more forgiving for slight imperfections.

Comments
Post a Comment