Skip to main content

Rock and Recycle - S/LO6

Even while at the 2019 Austin City Limits Music Festival, in between listening to fantastic artists, I was able to contribute to Austin Parks Foundation’s efforts to keep Zilker Park clean. With Austin Parks Foundation’s help, the Austin City Limits Music Festival was able to organize the Rock & Recycle program which incentivized festival-goers to fill large garbage bags with plastic bottles and cans. At the festival, it was hard not to notice the excessive amount of trash and plastic waste that covered the park’s grounds. I have always been extremely conscious about the global issue of single-use plastics and their effects on the environment and thought this was a great way to help out. I was able to fill one whole bag with hundreds of plastic bottles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hand Knitting Chunky Blanket - C/LO1

As a weekend craft, I decided to make a chunky knit blanket following a youtube tutorial. I had recently started knitting but had not yet tried hand knitting. I used the Bernat chunky blanket yarn and was able to follow the tutorial easily enough. I struggled with getting the right tension at first and naturally, as a perfectionist, I had to redo the beginning multiple times until I got it just right. I put on a movie and sat for three hours on the floor just working on the blanket. In the end, I had my very own chunky blanket. Through this process, a strength I demonstrated was perseverance with working through new skills and a weakness that I could work on is being more forgiving for slight imperfections.

Morning Run - A/LO4

Today I went on an early morning run with my swim team at Buffalo Bayou. When the pools closed due to quarantine, my swim team started running together as an alternative way to keep fit. Even when the pools opened, we had a limited practice schedule so continued to run as well. Today we ran down the bayou to a set location and then turned back around. In total we ran 3.5 miles. Everyone ran at their own pace so some people go their sooner than later. Running is definitely more challenging for me and in the extreme heat I had to take a very leisurely pace so I 1finsihed in almost 45 min. Running requires a lot of commitment and perseverance because of the physical challenge.

CAS Project Day 22 - LO4

Today is Day 22 of my CAS Project. I have been going to the climbing gym consistently every weekend and climb for about 2 hours each time. During the school week, when I don't have time to go to the climbing gym, I work on strength training and fitness in other ways. I try to do a mix of hang board exercises, pull-ups, and workout videos. I finally sent the V5 that I have been working on for the past few weeks and have since repeated it two more times! I honestly don't know how many times I tried the climb but it was definitely a project wall for me. Once I figured out the hand crossover move, the next was a huge step to the left and then another push up from there to the final holds which were also angled, far apart, and tiny. The extreme reaches were scary at first because I was not sure if I would be able to make it but once I trusted myself and went for it, I found that I could do it. Once I knew the beta and knew I could do it, I was able to repeat the climb without too mu...